Thursday, October 28, 2010

50kph seems a long way away

report from the roundtable - 26 oct

At this week's council meeting I spoke about the recently announced new speed limits for Mt Dandenong and Yarra Glen. These are two towns the Shire has long campaigned to have lower speed limits and it's terrific to see it finally happen.

Although this is a positive for these towns, there are still a number of towns in the Shire still waiting for a lower speed limit, including Belgrave South, Coldstream, Montrose, Millgrove, Mt Evelyn, Selby, Tecoma, Wandin North and Woori Yallock.

This is the township of Kallista, after years of campaigning it's finally a 50kph zone. Selby however is still a 60kph zone, even after years of asking for a reduction. When pedestrians navigate Selby's main road with its poor site lines and no pedestrian crossing, they take their life into their hands.


The Shire has been determined in its efforts to advocate for lower speed limits, I share that determination and have long campaigned for safer speed limits. It seems incredible to me that the community and council need to repeatedly ask for lower speed limits, however Vic Roads seems to have tunnel vision in relation to this matter.

At the meeting I suggested to councillors that if our politicians wanted a quick and cost effective way to improve the lot of pedestrians in the lead up to the state election then this would be the way to do it.


As it stands at the moment I think I will go to my grave before I see these towns get a more pedestrian friendly speed limit approved by Vic Roads. I only hope we don't see any nasty accidents before it happens.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker