Monday, February 06, 2012

day one, saving sylvia creek

Today saw the commencement of a landmark court case for the environment and our endangered faunal emblem, the Leadbeater's Possum, in the trial for MyEnvironment Inc -v- VicForests.

Pictured here: Sarah Rees, Director of MyEnvironment and myself a the Supreme Court.

I, along with many others, went to the Supreme Court to watch proceedings on day one. I was joined by many locals and keen environmentalists. Court room 6 was so full that it was standing room only until Justice Osborn kindly ordered more chairs so everyone could sit down.

The legal team for MyEnvironment put forward a compelling outline of their case, citing numerous breaches of the legislative frameworks that are in place to protect endangered species.

To read more on the background on the logging issue in Toolangi visit my blog (17 July 2011) and here (28 Aug 2011).

Tomorrow will see VicForests put forward an outline of their case. Wednesday will see a site visit to the Toolangi State Forest by Justice Osborn. Thursday expert witnesses will be called for MyEnvironment, with continuation of the case on Friday.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Samantha Dunn said...

I've received a couple of comments re this story, but if you're not prepared to tell me who you are then I'm not prepared to publish your comments.
I'm also not prepared to publish comments that are likely to offend some of my readers.
But thanks for your continued interest in my stories about logging our native forests.
Cheers, Samantha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker