Friday, October 24, 2008

a new chapter for emergency relief

Tonight I attended the AGM of the Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service (DRERS). Being a councillor has really opened my eyes to the range of community services out there and DRERS play an important role in helping those in our community in crisis. The people DRERS assist are often alone and isolated trying to manage complex and difficult issues.

The AGM was very well attended and there is a growing awareness and support for the work of DRERS in the community.












To ensure that funds raised from the Mayor’s Sleep Out event (see blog) came to the Dandenong Ranges and not just to Lilydale and the valley, I put forward DRERS as a recipient of the Shire’s fundraising efforts along with ANCHOR.

I also suggested to my son’s school (Selby Primary) that they should hold a Pyjama Day to assist the Shire’s fundraising efforts for the agencies that provide relief for the homeless. It was a great success and a very enthusiastic Grade 3 student helped me with the on the ground logistics. For a gold coin donation the children dressed up in their finest pyjamas and a couple of the teachers joined in for good measure.

Frank Watson, president of DRERS for the past 11 years chose not to restand, Frank has certainly seen the organisation grow in this time. I’m pleased to announce the committee for 2008/09 is:
President: Anita Burman
Vice President: Glyn Jones
Treasurer: Darrell Jolly
Secretary: Jenny Simms
General members:
Sarah Jobson
Christina Lillie
Garry Watts
David Fulford


My congratulations to the incoming committee members, I look forward to working with them in the future.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker